W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > August 2013

Minutes from the 15 August teleconference

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:11:00 -0400
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20130816141100.GN7210@concerto.rednote.net>
Minutes from the HTML-A11Y Task Force teleconference of 15 August are provided below s text, and are available as hypertext at:

http://www.w3.org/2013/08/15-html-a11y-minutes.html


   W3C

                                                                                   - DRAFT -

                                                                         HTML Accessibility Task Force

15 Aug 2013

   See also: IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          Mark_Sadecki, [IPcaller], John_Foliot, lwatson, Janina, chaals, David_MacDonald

   Regrets
   Chair
          SV_MEETING_CHAIR

   Scribe
          janina

Contents

     * Topics
         1. procedures CfC
         2. longdesc: testing, Last Call comments
         3. Alt Edits Completed
         4. HTML 5 Testing
         5. subteams
         6. html 5.1
     * Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

   <chaals> We are waiting on PF for a proposal that would satisfy them. HTML is waiting on a new proposal.

   <chaals> What to do with the tests proposed http://github.com/chaals/longdesc-tests

   <chaals> Plan for resolving last call issues

   <chaals> Plan for tracking LC comments explicitly

   <scribe> scribe: janina

procedures CfC

   <chaals> CN: PF objected tothe procedures, so the CfCs failed.

   Charles: Proposes that telecon may propose a CFC, and the facilitators will start with a email

   <JF> thought we were talking about longdesc / thought we were talking about longdesc

   Charles: Proposes comments in telecon will count

   janina: Suggests lang needs to confirm telecon can make decisions, but subject to email or WBS CFC confirmation

   Charles: Suggests telecon comments should count because commenter is responsible for correcting any mistatement by the scribe

   <JF> +1 to Chaals re: minutes. Gregory R. used to always note that corrections should be sent to the list

longdesc: testing, Last Call comments

   charles: Wrote some tests

   jf: Looks good, can help
   ... Have strong objections re LC comments received in email ...

   charles: Can we talk testing first?

   jf: OK

   Charles: Don't know how to automate tests ...
   ... Tests I've proposed have no status yet, expect we'll consider for a few days yet then do cfc against them
   ... Would be helpful for people to run tests know and email initial results

   <lwatson> Zakim: https://github.com/chaals/longdesc-tests

   Mark: Tests look good ...
   ... Can get a stble uri for them and add the descriptions

   <scribe> ACTION: Mark to add descriptions [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/08/15-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> 'Mark' is an ambiguous username. Please try a different identifier, such as family name or username (e.g., mhakkine, msadecki, mwatson2).

   <scribe> ACTION: marks to add Charles descriptions to the proposed longdesc tests [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/08/15-html-a11y-minutes.html#action02]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-190 - Add charles descriptions to the proposed longdesc tests [on Mark Sadecki - due 2013-08-22].

   Chalres: Suggest we start collecting results on a wiki page

   Charles: Not worried about how people report. It's a small set, and we can normalize results in our report
   ... Suggest we run CFC on these test longer than usual as it's August vacation for many people

   DM: Asks about where the tests are and how to use them

   Charles: They're on github

   janina: URI above

   Charles: Let's move to the comments discussion ...

   jf: Have strong concerns about comments received. Words like "better" may not be appropriate in this doc
   ... e.g. epub authoring guidance should be in epub, not in this TF's spec

   janina +`1

   charles; Think it may be useful to provide some guidance on when and how to use the spec

   charles: So, an ongoing discussion in email on what may be OK

   jf: Our spec is about images, why are we discussing svg, or epub?

   charles: because are images
   ... Notes that only some ua's make svg a11y

   jf: Suggest it's counter to our purpose to put qualified authoring guidance into this spec, i.e. ua X & Y support, but on others do Z

   charles: Suggests JF chime in on email thread

   janina: Agree with JF but also concerned that there are still use cases, even when full ml might exist, to provide an overview of the structure e.g. in a textbook

   leonie: Suggest we not try accomplish all this in this early doc

   charles: Agree with LW. People should be able to generalize from our spec
   ... Notes that even jpeg supports providing an overview, also svg
   ... In a transitionary world, which we're in, we do, because not all can take advantage of svg a11y
   ... I expect to raise a bug on how we handle this

   marks: Have we considered using comment tracker?

   <MarkS> https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/44061/WD-html-longdesc-20130716/

   marks: Have input comments received just to see how the tool works and might help with responses

   charles: agree it's a good tool
   ... So, if there, let's use it?

   janina: Agree. We're obligated to show response to all comments with rationale

Alt Edits Completed

HTML 5 Testing

   marks: Heard from Jason White that we should look how a11y apis map lang
   ... Otherwise no issue to test
   ... Requested extension on our response to Sep 4
   ... Inasmuch as current Sep 1 is Sunday of a 3-day holliday weekend
   ... Have test file from Rich for testing focus rings, and have run tests with mixed results
   ... Definitely useful to forward

subteams

   <David_> Longdesc test files uploaded http://davidmacd.com/test/longdesc-tests-master/

   marks: No quorum in Bug triage
   ... Looked at bugs, have one to ask now

   <MarkS> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=22931

   marks: Wondering whether this sufficiently supports magnification, i.e. to find the iframe

   dm: Don't think so at this time, what would help?

   leonie: Mags will follow mouse for focus, including into an iframe

   marks: OK

html 5.1

   marks: we need dialog or transcripts ml? Perhaps?

   charles: This issue has a history, even back in HTML 4
   ... agree it would be useful to ml discussions better than we can now

   janina: Also suggesting date pickers

   charles: Suggest people look at inputs and web components. Important for html

   <scribe> ACTION: Charles to provide pointer for web components work to the list [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/08/15-html-a11y-minutes.html#action03]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-191 - Provide pointer for web components work to the list [on Charles McCathie Nevile - due 2013-08-22].

   <David_> Focus enhancements http://www.aisquared.com/docs/zt10/zt10_QRG_UK_English.pdf page 25

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Charles to provide pointer for web components work to the list [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/08/15-html-a11y-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Mark to add descriptions [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/08/15-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: marks to add Charles descriptions to the proposed longdesc tests [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/08/15-html-a11y-minutes.html#action02]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Found Scribe: janina
Present: Mark_Sadecki [IPcaller] John_Foliot lwatson Janina chaals David_MacDonald
People with action items: charles marks

-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net
		Email:	janina@rednote.net

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:	http://a11y.org

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
Chair,	Protocols & Formats	http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
	Indie UI			http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/
Received on Friday, 16 August 2013 14:11:29 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:56:27 UTC