W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > August 2013

Minutes: HTML A11Y TF Telecon, 01 August 2013

From: Mark Sadecki <mark@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 14:33:15 -0400
Message-ID: <51FAA9EB.3060309@w3.org>
To: HTML A11Y TF Public <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hello,

Thanks to everyone who attended the HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference today 01 August 2013. The minutes are available in HTML and plain text below:

HTML:
http://www.w3.org/2013/08/01-html-a11y-minutes.html

TEXT:

       [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

               HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

01 Aug 2013

Attendees

    Present
           Mark_Sadecki, David_MacDonald, chaals, lwatson, Judy,
           Janina, st2, Cynthia_Shelly, hober

    Regrets
           RichS

    Chair
           chaals

    Scribe
           MarkS

Contents

      * [2]Topics
          1. [3]longdesc CR testing
          2. [4]HTML5 and Canvas Testing update
          3. [5]HTML5 and canvas testing
          4. [6]SVG Community Group
          5. [7]ALT advice in HTML5 spec
          6. [8]UA media controls and references to UAAG
          7. [9]Task Force Consensus Procedures and Work Statement
          8. [10]Subteam Reports: Bug Triage; AAPI Mapping; Media;
          9. [11]Other Business
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

longdesc CR testing

    CN: small number of requirements. need to identify testable
    statements. should be able to find proper implementations of
    longdesc and get to PR.

    ...need to identify tools that demonstrate support, should be
    the case with multiple AT and plugins.

    ...browsers currently do a terrible job.

    ...need to describe what happens when you have a base url
    specified in the head of the document. this could be a problem.

    ...we need people who can write and run tests. Need a setup
    that supports longdesc in some way.

    DM: I have windows with JAWS 14, and a mac

    ...and NVDA

    LW: I can test with NVDA as well

    JS: I can do orca on linux

    LW: I can do JAWS 15 as well

    CN: regarding replies to comments made, I will prepare some
    drafts and share them with the group.

    JS: There is a side conversation going on regarding Math ML.
    I'm presuming we will say that we support people using
    accessible markup whenever possible. Just some context on that
    side convo.

HTML5 and Canvas Testing update

HTML5 and canvas testing

    <chaals> MS: Last week we replied to HTML group and came up
    with a summary of what we need to look at in terms of
    interoperability (or lack of).

    <chaals> ... that will be out "Real Soon" (hopefully this
    week).

    <chaals> ... For canvas, Rich and I have agreed to set aside
    some time going through the 2d API and looking for issues in
    that.

    <chaals> ... Would be good to have a sub-team on HTML5 testing
    since we will need to start working closely on
    accessibilty-specific tests.

    <chaals> CN: Think that makes sense.

    <chaals> MS: Could be a generic "testing" sub-team.

    <chaals> JB: Sounds good.

SVG Community Group

    CN: relatively little implementation follow-up of earlier SVG
    accessibility work.

    ...expects to look at more ARIA properties for improving the
    a11y of SVG, specifically visualizations of data.

    JB: in terms of existing SVG stuff, SVG 1.1 still has some ways
    to go RE implementations. some of the SVG 2.0 a11y work that is
    already underway is something we wouldn't want to conflict
    with. They are still sorting out priorities and timelines.

    ...think there is great possibility in a11y of data
    visualizations.

    DM: more on Data viz and ontologies?

    JB: data org charts, use connectors, no accessibility access to
    these relationships

    ...important area for exploration. hoping that the new
    community group is aware of the existing work on accessibility
    being done in SVG 2; maybe we can get more energy on that.

    CN: the goal is not to augment the work that has already been
    done.

    JS: Rich is actively engaged with the SVG WG and an editor on
    the SVG 2.0 document and is working directly with them to get
    ARIA support.

    ...ARIA 1.1 should also start bridging any gaps in SVG a11y.

    ...also hoping to get requirements in place for ARIA 2.0 which
    will focus on graphic accessibility. The new CG could develop
    use cases. Would be very helpful.

    ...ARIA 2.0 may not be a monolithic spec, but a modularized
    method similar to CSS

    CN: we will do our best to keep coordination and communication
    between the groups open.

ALT advice in HTML5 spec

    JS: spent a fair amount of time last week asking people to do a
    detailed review. Do we have the right amount? will it stay
    stable? Talked about taking this up with the WAI CG group.

    CN: i think longdesc will have an impact on this as well.

    ...need to make sure that nothing there is bad advice.

    JS: i.e. logo, perhaps we could do better, such as indicating
    the category of image along with descriptions.

    DM: how many people think it is OK to put the word logo in alt
    text?

    JS: i think its critical.

    CN: have we gotten rid of the things we wanted out of the spec,
    what do we need further discussion on and what is missing.

    ...that sets us up to do some useful work.

    JS: agreed

UA media controls and references to UAAG

    CN: think we should take this up in the media sub-team.

    JS: that is on my list of todos and I can send out an email to
    see what people's availability is.

    ...there are a couple of reasons to bring the media sub team
    together.

Task Force Consensus Procedures and Work Statement

    CN: the CfC in the TF has expired and it has passed. I have not
    asked for review by PF and HTML WG yet. Will do when I get
    network access back

Subteam Reports: Bug Triage; AAPI Mapping; Media;

    no sub team reports. Media will be active, Bug Triage is quiet.

Other Business

    DM: anyone know if SEO indexes details element?

    CN: search engines always cautious about spam. elements like
    details should be perceived as relatively safe and indexed.

Summary of Action Items

    [End of minutes]
      __________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [13]scribe.perl version
     1.137 ([14]CVS log)
     $Date: 2013-08-01 18:15:36 $

      [13] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [14] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 1 August 2013 18:33:16 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:56:27 UTC