W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > August 2013

Minutes: HTML A11Y TF Telecon, 25 July 2013

From: Mark Sadecki <mark@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 14:32:08 -0400
Message-ID: <51FAA9A8.8080705@w3.org>
To: HTML A11Y TF Public <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hello,

Went to update the wiki and realized these minutes had never been uploaded.  Below are the minutes in HTML or plain text format for HTML Accessibility Task Force telecon held on July 25 2013

HTML:
http://www.w3.org/2013/07/25-html-a11y-minutes.html

TEXT:

     [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

               HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

25 Jul 2013

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2013/07/25-html-a11y-irc

Attendees

    Present
           janina, Mark_Sadecki, [IPcaller], John_Foliot, Leonie,
           hober, Judy, Rich, paulc, [Microsoft]

    Regrets
    Chair
           Janina_Sajka

    Scribe
           MarkS, janina

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Identify Scribe
             http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scr
             ibe_List
          2. [5]Canvas 2D Testing
             http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2
             013Jul/0052.html
          3. [6]Longdesc Status Update
          4. [7]TF Work Statement CFC
             http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2
             013Jul/0044.html
          5. [8]Canvas 2D Testing
             http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2
             013Jul/0052.html
          6. [9]HTML5 testing
             http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2
             013Jul/0053.html
          7. [10]Longdesc Status Update
          8. [11]Alt Edits Completed
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

    <trackbot> Date: 25 July 2013

    <janina> Meeting: HTML-A11Y Task Force Teleconference

    <janina> Meeting: HTML-A11Y Task Force Teleconference

    <janina> Chair: Janina_Sajka

    <scribe> scribe: MarkS

Identify Scribe
[13]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

      [13] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

Canvas 2D Testing
[14]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jul/0052
.html

      [14] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jul/0052.html

Longdesc Status Update

    JS: flurry of email following LCWD and some discussion. MathML
    was brought into the discussion. Would like to have James here,
    but he will be busy with Elijah.

TF Work Statement CFC
[15]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jul/0044
.html

      [15] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jul/0044.html

    JS: I have asked chaals to make a word change, which he obliged
    to. No other comments.

    <paulc> Will the ask to the HTML WG occur this week?

    JS: we should now seek approval from the HTML WG and PFWG per
    Plan 2014

    PC: when will the WG see it?

    JS: probably next week.

Canvas 2D Testing
[16]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jul/0052
.html

      [16] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jul/0052.html

    JS: touch base on Canvas 2D.
    ... we should prioritize this evaluation and provide feedback
    in clusters rather than one response at the end of the CfC

    <richardschwerdtfeger>
    [17]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Ju
    l/0062.html

      [17] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jul/0062.html

    PC: please let us know if there are no comments on particular
    sections as well.

    RS: I met with Dominc yesterday. Never really specified what a
    focus ring is supposed to look like.
    ... use system focus indicator. in windows, dotted ring
    ... author can override default indicator.
    ... this wouldn't force us to go back to CR
    ... any objection to go back to HTML to put this note in?

    PC: file a bug?

    RS: yes.

    PC: mention that you have one implementation

    RS: Dominic said the code went in yesterday

    JS: what are our concerns with testing canvas 2d? is Path in
    jeopardy?

    RS: focus is not in jeopardy. You can tab though fallback
    content on at least 3 browsers.
    ... showing the visible location on the canvas drawing surface,
    one implementation in Blink. Hopefully IE and Mozilla next.

    TO: I think James is a good person to ask RE apple
    representative.

    RS: Path and hit testing
    ... hit testing is not going to get into 5.0. Identified as at
    risk, implementors want to do something different with Shape
    ... Path, synchronize canvas closer to SVG. I think Path is at
    risk.

    PC: yes, and hit regions

    RS: If we don't have Path, then we may not have all the support
    we need.

    <paulc> Path Object and Hit Regions are at risk:
    [18]http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/CR-2dcontext-20121217/

      [18] http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/CR-2dcontext-20121217/

    JB: looking for clarification on how canvas can be accessible
    without path or hit regions.

    RS: want to tell a magnifier where object is. Mags usually
    follow focus. focusring allows us to do that.
    ... the functionality that gets lost is the ability to zoom to
    arbitrary information on the drawing surface.
    ... everything on a web page has a location, mags can zoom to
    it.
    ... not everything in canvas has a location.
    ... what we can do, is put things in the tab order to control
    focus. not the best, but meets bare minimum.
    ... would tell authors to indicate tab index

    JB: sounds as though the hit testing approach is not popular,
    but there is one that is more palatable? would it fill gap in
    the same approach?

    RS: Developers have been want to use different object, Shape vs
    Path. Bind that to hit testing. Doesn't exist yet.

    JB: would this work on multiple platforms?

    RS: this is being discussed by Mozilla and WebKit and Blink. I
    don't know about MS
    ... this would allow us to not have to put everything in the
    tabbing sequence and allow us to zoom to important objects that
    are represented in fallback content.
    ... this may not have to wait until 5.1. there may be earlier
    implementations.

    PC: if this is something that is well spec'ed, you could do an
    extension spec.

    JB: Support the extension spec idea. lets capture this work and
    move it forward.

    RS: i haven't seen shape object yet. I can talk to Rik Cabanier
    who was talking to Hixie for writing it up.

    JS: I think I hear you saying that we should support Shape over
    Path

    RS: I think we should support whatever will give us the
    location of objects.
    ... let me follow up with dbolter on where they are.

    JB: if we are trying to insure that this graphics format is
    accessible, we can't support both approaches.
    ... lets be thoughtful about the timing on this.

    RS: in the focusring drawing, two of the api's use the path
    object. they would drop off without path.

    JS: so we would probably wan to keep path then...

    RS: I think an extension spec for shape is great.
    ... i know that fallback content works well. I have a team that
    has demonstrated that now.

    PC: does the TF have a schedule to review these two docs given
    that July is almost behind us.

    JS: we need Rich to look through the canvas 2d spec to spot any
    accessibility snafus that may be in there.

    MS: i am willing to help you out with that.

    RS: are blink and webkit the same at this point?

    PC: [clarifies the definition of unique implementations]

    <paulc> 'Each implementation must be developed by a different
    party and cannot share, reuse, or derive from code used by
    another qualifying implementation. Sections of code that have
    no bearing on the implementation of this specification are
    exempt from this requirement."

    <paulc>
    [19]http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/public-permissive-e
    xit-criteria.html

      [19] http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/public-permissive-exit-criteria.html

    TO: there is at least one case in CSS where an Adobe developer
    has been working on code in both webkit and gecko and we have
    determined that this are not unique.

    JF: google has announced that they will be supporting Longdesc.
    No indication from Safari. Evidence that these browsers are
    forking.

    PC: same code, one implementation.
    ... would like to have a regular agenda item on Canvas and HTML
    testing.

HTML5 testing
[20]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jul/0053
.html

      [20] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jul/0053.html

    <janina> scribe: janina

    ms: Has been working with spec editors on plan to test using
    issues we found
    ... Also identified several items we reported as not requiring
    anything more than filing bugs
    ... Will report to the TF
    ... Expect this next week

Longdesc Status Update

Alt Edits Completed

    [21]http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/index.cgi?GoAheadAndLogIn=1

      [21] http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/index.cgi?GoAheadAndLogIn=1

    <MarkS> JS: steveF has sent a note to the list that all changes
    from the standalone document have been ported to 5.1 and 5.0
    heartbeat.

    <MarkS> ...need everyone to take a really close look to verify
    that this is what we want in the spec

    <MarkS> ...SteveF wants us to file bugs if you have any issues.

    <MarkS> ...I think we need to move on this and close it.

    <MarkS> ...there is one section, near the beginning RE: a logo,
    but the alt text does not mention that.

    <MarkS> JF: we have a standard or convention that we preface
    the description with the type followed by a colon. more of a
    convention.

    <MarkS>
    [22]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-admin/2013J
    ul/0058.html

      [22] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-admin/2013Jul/0058.html

    <MarkS> JS: next step, lets return to this topic next week to
    see how we should handle this.

    <MarkS> JF: do we have a deadline on this, or can it wait until
    Steve's return.

    <MarkS> JS: I think 2-3 weeks won't be a problem.

Summary of Action Items

    [End of minutes]
      __________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [23]scribe.perl version
     1.137 ([24]CVS log)
     $Date: 2013-08-01 18:26:59 $

      [23] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [24] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 1 August 2013 18:32:10 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:56:27 UTC