Re: how does EME/DRM effect captioning

You guys got a little off-topic here and there is some ambiguity about
whether you mean MPEG-2 Transport Streams (which can carry H.264) or MPEG-2
Video below. I think the former.

They are adding support for carriage of timed text in the ISO File Format
as well. So we have the situation that whatever file format you choose (ISO
or MPEG-2 TS), technically there could be captions embedded in the
encrypted media. They are only now working on a common encryption format
for MPEG2-TS, though, so until that is specified, developed and deployed
you lose the huge advantage of being DRM-agnostic if you use encrypted
MPEG-2 TS.

For our part we use the ISO File Format for all our streaming to recent
models (past few years) of TVs and Set Top Boxes and to Android phones and
desktop browsers. It works just fine on those devices. There are some other
kinds of device which only support MPEG-2 TS though.

However, we deliver captions/subtitles separately in a (unencrypted) TTML
file.

Whilst Glenn is right that some HTML5 implementations on TVs and Set Top
Boxes support MPEG-2 TS, there is no reason at all for this to be used for
modern adaptive streaming in the Internet. The argument about legacy
content is specious, since content has to be re-encoded anyway for the web,
for adaptive streaming. The ISO file format is far more suitable for this
purpose. You only have to look at the years of discussion that it took
during the MPEG DASH group to figure out how to squeeze MPEG-2 TS into an
adaptive streaming model, or the similar eyes-of-needles that the MPEG-2 TS
camel is being squeezed through in the MSE work.

So I would see no good reason to deliver captions/subtitles in encrypted
form unless the license terms for those requires it. The argument that "we
have this legacy encrypted MPEG 2 TS stream containing captions and we
can't do anything to pull out the captions" doesn't hold much water, IMO.

As to whether licensing terms for captions/subtitles require encryption, I
can't predict the future, but we don't have any in our service today that
do (and we do have captions/subtitles - that isn't a clever statement about
nothing ;-)

...Mark