Re: Getting HTML5 to Recommendation in 2014

On 09/26/2012 04:47 AM, Steve Faulkner wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> a few comments/questions
>
> Is it intended moving forward that any potential additions to HTML are
> first developed in the form of an extension spec?

Encouraged but not required.  I'll simply add that this will be strongly
encouraged for controversial features.

> There appears to be no method for the WG to obsolete features from
> HTML other than due to lack of implementation. Is this the case?

Not at all.  You have provided two counter examples to this thesis:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Sep/0399.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Sep/0388.html

One or both could be integrated during CR:

http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/decision-policy-v3.html#cr-integration

Of course, doing so will require us to return to Last Call after CR, but
that is already part of the proposed plan.

> Can extension specs be developed that are not intended to be
> potentially folded into the spec prior to 5.0 REC? For example the
> maincontent element [1]

Absolutely.

> regards
> SteveF