Re: Longdesc extension specification

Sam Ruby, Tue, 25 Sep 2012 08:08:58 -0400:
> On 09/25/2012 08:02 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> Sam Ruby, Mon, 24 Sep 2012 09:39:46 -0400:
>>> On 09/24/2012 09:28 AM, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
>>
>>> Work with Mike Smith to get access to CVS and/or to create a bugzilla
>>> component when you are ready.
>>
>> I'll wait with spec feedback till the bugzilla is ready.
>
> Before creating a component, some discussion on the title for this
> document[1] may be in order.
>
> Is the intent to add long descriptions to other elements be handled
> by separate extension specifications?
>
> - Sam Ruby
>
> [1]

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Sep/att-0478/longdesc.html

Good question. You pointed out that the spec should describe 'today'.
From that angle, it seems logical to focus on only images. Though, from
a 'today' perspective, one could also include iframe, which per HTML4
can take longdesc. I don't remember if support for longdesc on iframe
is widely implemented, but I seem o remember that I test it, and found
it not to be widely implemented - which could be a reason to not
include iframe, from a 'today' perspective.  Be that as it may. Curren
title is 'HTML5 image description links'.

My current proposal:

	"The HTML5 longdesc attribute.
     A description link for A11Y APIs and other implementations."

The title does not include 'img' or 'image' - to keep the options open.
At the same time the title avoids hinting anything about other methods
for linking.
--
leif h silli