Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 2:24 PM, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:
> Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>
>> you can't have it both ways:
>
> Ah, but with @longdesc I do. Today.
>
> I encourage you to go look at Dirk's example I've posted - by exposing the
> linked content (using @longdesc to do the linking) then the long description
> does indeed render an exposed, tab-focusable link. (here's the link:
> http://blog.ginader.de/dev/jquery/longdesc/examples/webaim/index.php)

I've seen it and I've bought into this argument before, but Web
developers don't want their browsers to put visual aids on their
images (they can do that themselves) and therefore browsers don't want
to implement this kind of visual encumbrance. It is wishful thinking
and will never happen. The only thing you can do is lobby the Web
developers themselves to create such, and you don't need a special
attribute for that.

Regards,