Re: A longer description feature that vendors could accept (Was: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update)

On 09/24/2012 06:26 PM, James Craig wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2012, at 4:50 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>
>> James, you recently said that aria-describedAT could be at risk in ARIA
>> 1.1 because it was the only feature that required  new things from the
>> browser level. But you were also positive about the feature - may be
>> fore ARIA 2.0 then?
>
> I don't think there is currently a deliverable scheduled between 1.1 and 2.0, if that's what you mean.
>
>> Sam said:
>>
>>   ]] I do believe that a solution for these problems can be
>>      specified in a matter of months and demonstrably conforming
>>      public implementations could be produced in a matter of
>>      months after that. [[
>>
>> Do you, James, share this view w.r.t. Safari and VoiceOver for
>> instance? (I don't know when ARIA 2.0 could be due, for instance.)
>
> In theory, that's possible. In practice, the schedule is almost always longer.

Just to be clear: I was not making a presumption about whether or not
the solution would take the form of an attribute with a name starting
with "aria-", nor was I making a presumption that if it did it would
ship in one of the currently defined aria releases.

We have the start of a specification here:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Mar/0268.html

If this can remain off of the critical path for HTML5, it can certainly
proceed at its own pace.

- Sam Ruby