RE: Long descriptions spec - a basic idea

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> If Microdata and HTML+RDFa are ghetto specs, then I agree that ghetto
> specs can work fine.

The current proposed path has warranted some serious deliberation and discussion, which is happening now.

Culturally, I would caution that we collectively be very careful about our use of terms such as "ghetto" with regard to accessibility and People With Disabilities, and further I have some significant concerns about the expression of any extension specification to HTML that has any kind of appearance of marginalization.

Put another way, both the RDFa spec and the MathML spec are (if I am to understand the thrust of the larger idea) extensions to HTML5.  Yet we do not highlight the inclusion of MathML to the spec in the same way that we do RDFa. The absolutely last thing we need is to have is even an internal notion of HTML+a11y (in the same way that we have HTML+RDFa), and so I would suggest that one way we can avoid this is to be extremely careful in our choice of words: casual observers may be lead to think something that is not intended or true.

Cheers!

JF