Re: How to obsolete @longdesc

Sam Ruby, Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:40:23 -0400:
> On 09/19/2012 11:32 AM, Laura Carlson wrote:
>> Hi Leif,
>>
>> Obsoleting longdesc in any way is not under consideration.
>
> That is not a factual statement.  It may not be something that you
> personally would be willing to consider.  It may not be something
> that actually happens.  But it is a factual statement that some
> people are not only considering that, but actively proposing to
> obsolete longdesc.

What I would like say is that I think David is right when he suggested
that it should not be a an ARIA feature but a HTML feature. I would be
more comfortable with such a solution. When we start to mix in ARIA -
such as in the debates about 'hidden but revealable on such and such
conditions', then the waters become unclear. Plus that the argument
could be made that ARIA would be getting that feature, anyhow, at some
point. And so, it has the smack of appear to be getting something but
not getting anything anyhow.

Leif H Silli