Re: What's in a name?

Laura Carlson, Wed, 19 Sep 2012 07:39:34 -0500:
> Hi James, Cynthia, David, and Ian,
>
> Sam wrote to Leif in another thread:
>
>> And (recognizing that I do NOT work for a
>> browser vendor), I do believe that a solution for these problems can be
>> specified in a matter of months and demonstrably conforming public
>> implementations could be produced in a matter of months after that.
>>
>> As to whether or not that attribute should be spelled "longdesc"
>
> One question to our task force browser reps: would you implement a
> change proposal with the exact same verbiage as the instatelongdesc
> proposal [1] if the HTML5 attribute name @longdesc was changed to
> @desc or @describedat something similar [2]? Does the name make a
> difference to your company implementing it?

I see what you cite from Sam. But what was it in this debate that made
a pure name change could help? The only thing I have seen is the fact
that @longdesc is so often misused that it would be better with a new
attribute name, see Silvia's message.[1]

[1]
http://www.w3.org/mid/CAHp8n2m1W_4DSoOpbKPpQAMp68hVPF=SJ35wxE2Tb5d8hAnzFA@mail.gmail.com
--
leif halvard silli