Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

On 09/18/2012 02:58 AM, Joshue O Connor wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
> [...]
>> I can't help but wonder if we would have been done by now if but a small
>> fraction of the effort that was put into "instating longdesc" focused
>> instead on developing a solution to the "long description" need that
>> browser vendors are willing to implement.
>
> +1. However, note that generally I sense that the a11y community is
> willing to support 'whatever works' - the part of the problem
> historically is that many a11y folk are rather keenly aware of what
> won't work - due to experience of working directly with people with
> disabilities (in one capacity or another).

I'll note that I consider Richard Schwerdtfeger a member of the a11y
community.

I'll note that there are a number of members of the a11y community that
work for browser vendors.

I'll suggest that the way forward is to put the needs of the people with
disabilities first, and cease what John Foliot is describing as a
"stare-down"[1].  Noting that at least one browser vendor is moving in
the direction of banning plugins in some environments[2], define success
instead as being defining something that browser vendors are willing to
natively implement.

One way forward is to *simultaneously* reconsider the following:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Apr/0003.html

As well as the opposition to a warning when longdesc is encountered in
an HTML 5 document:

http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-30-objection-poll/results#xwarning

Feel free to suggest other ways forward, just be mindful that the goal
here is solving the needs of people with disabilities, and that
mandating a solution that browsers will continue ignore[1] is not the
path forward.

> Cheers
>
> Josh

- Sam Ruby