Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

On 17 September 2012 23:21, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

>>> The trouble is, longdesc is neither widely supported nor reliable today.  If it was, I suspect that we would not be having this discussion.
>>
>> It is better supported and more reliable than no solution at all for
>> providing a long description for complex images.
>>

> So your thesis is that we should stick with a poor solution, that works only in controlled environments (not the public internet), and with a limited number of UAs, not all, and for whcih the situation is not improving nor likely to, rather than do better?
>
> "I'm sorry, I cannot give you a car because you already have a broken bicycle."  Pshaw, I say, I and many others have much higher aspirations.

I completely buy in to your higher aspirations. What are they? If it's
just you have higher aspirations, but no one has told you what they
are yet, I'll stick with my current position of supporting the change
proposal as there is no other reliable method that is supported today
that does the same thing as longdesc. If you have a realistic
alternative that works today, let us know what it is.

Gez

--
Supplement your vitamins