Re: My case for the obsoletion of longdesc (Was: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update)

On Sep 15, 2012, at 7:55 PM, Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no> wrote:

>  However, due to bug 22261 - "Clicking on a non-text
> input element does not give it focus",[1] Webkit and Chromium suffers
> from the following: if one opens a longdesc link (e.g. with Webkit
> based iCab) VoiceOver will start to read from the top of the page
> instead of from the section where the particular longdesc was situated.
> Something which takes away lots of flexibility with regard to longdesc.
> And, in fact, it also impacts regular links as well - it is is real
> hole in VoiceOver and Webkit's elegance.

I would say this is the responsibility of the implementors of iCab, not WebKit or VoiceOver. There is no native support of any kind for longdesc in WebKit or in VoiceOver. iCab authors have not reported any bugs indicating that they are blocked. And it is my belief that iCab can handle this detail by itself.

Cheers,
Maciej