Fwd: Usage of Alt

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: 23 November 2012 15:47
Subject: Usage of Alt
To: "HTML WG (public-html@w3.org)" <public-html@w3.org>

Hi all,

as indicated in the CfC caveat for the publication of the HTML CR, in the
discussion of the AltTech specification with its objection, and, you know,
ISSUE-31, there is some amount of disagreement about the advice to be given
about our poor old alt attribute.

In order to get a feel for how it was actually used in the wild, I quickly
generated a usage report to see if we could make some useful inferences. I
don't claim that it's a solution, or that it is decisive data, but it might
help.

You can read more at: http://htmlwg.org/alt-usage/.

>From looking at the inline variant of the report, my sense is that the HTML
specification as currently drafted is not paving the cow paths.

Thoughts, suggestions for improvements, welcome.

with regards

Steve Faulkner
Technical Director - TPG

www.twitter.com/stevefaulkner