Re: main spec updated - changes to parsing and rendering

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 19:42:04 +0100, Léonie Watson <tink@tink.co.uk> wrote:

> Steve Faulkner wrote:
>
> “>I'd like to see <main> being more useful than just to replace "<div
> id=”main”>", but if this is agreeable as a use case by browsers, then I
> >guess we can just >get the experience for now and make corrections
> later as we see what authors do with it.
>
> So would I, which is why I have included text to encourage browsers to
> provide built in keyboard navigation to the main element. Your
> >suggestions would be another step. I think we are more likely to get
> additional usefulness via incremental additions/modifications.”
>

> I wonder whether making main a required element would encourage AT
> vendors to build functionality around it? I’m thinking of >integrated
> skip link replacement, rather than functionality that includes main as
> one of the set of navigable landmarks.

I have only thought about this for a couple of minutes, but I don't think
it would make a lot of difference.

If browsers actually decide to do this, it would suggest that there is
real value and that there are no real compatibility issues. But I'm not
convinced that browsers do a good enough job at picking this to enforce
the creation of a dummy DOM element (the TBODY case is much much
easier...), and I am with Steve that success doesn't have to be getting it
perfect, just getting net improvement.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@yandex-team.ru Find more at http://yandex.com