Re: Spec does not appear to define what it means to be a "modal" dialog (e.g. focus concerns should be included)

You might want to check the latest spec:
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/single-page.html#dom-dialog-showmodal

There is a step in there that speaks about autofocus. I think that resolves
the interaction issues.

Regards,
Silvia.