Re: [media] alt technologies for paused video

Hi Philip,

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 May 2011 09:09:48 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer
> <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Over the last weeks I've been putting together ideas about what
>> requirements we have for alt technologies on videos that are either
>> paused by default or not displayed because of text-only displays.
>>

>> My current state of mind is that we need to solve three use cases:
>>
>> 1. a brief description that will give the casual "tab"-passer-by an
>> impression as to what the video is about to help them make a
>> play/noplay decision
>>
>> 2. longer descriptions that give a bit more detail and describe, e.g.
>> the poster and give a summary of the content; this is often text
>> already available elsewhere on the page
>>
>> 3. a possibility to link a full transcription of the video to the
>> video and provide it in the context menu
>>
>> With this in mind I have put together a proposal for attributes that
>> satisfy these use cases.
>>

>> I've concretely suggested to introduce the following attributes on
>> <video>:
>>
>> 1. To satisfy use case 1: @aria-label
>>
>> 2. To satisfy use case 2: @aria-describedby
>>
>> 3. To satisfy use case 3: a new attribute @transcription
>>

>> All the details of my proposal are at:
>> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Alt_Technologies
>>
>> This page also has several examples that show how the proposed
>> attributes would be used.
>>
>> While my focus is on video, the same attributes can also be used on
>> <audio>.
>
> Case 1 and 2 seem sane and already supported, I have nothing to say about
> those. Case 3 is interesting... there's certainly something to be said for
> putting the transcript into the context menu and other UI together with the
> controls for selecting between captions/subtitles and extra audio/video
> tracks.

Yes, that was the intention.

> However, I'm quite certain one wouldn't want to navigate the page
> one is on to open the transcript, rather one would want to open a separate
> window, perhaps overlapping the current one so that one can simultaneously
> access both the video and the transcript.

It's a URL, which you can open in a separate tab/window with CRTL or ALT, right?

> In some cases it might be best to
> let the page author decide where the transcript should be shown, so that we
> should have a JavaScript callback to open the transcript.

If the page author decides to provide the URL on the page through some
user interaction, a @transcription attribute is probably not required.
In this case the use of @transcription could only be useful to allow
crawler to use the text on an additional page for indexing and search
as further information about the video.

> This might be
> overkill, but something to consider.

Indeed! :-)

I wonder of course also whether that attribute should be called
@longdesc, though I really don't like that name. @transcription is
much more sensible on audio and video.