Re: Moving longdesc forward

On 5/4/11 12:47 PM, "Leif Halvard Silli" <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no> wrote:

Leif Halvard Silli, Wed, 4 May 2011 18:25:59 +0200:
> Really, it disappoints me very much if we cannot agree that @longesc
> should point to HTML documents. Then we are promoting an unclear

What Vlad said about ARIA is true about @longdesc too: [1]

"A technology that tires to fit everywhere ends up fitting nowhere."

Therefore we should restrain ourself from making it seem as if it fits
equally well everywhere, for all things and for all formats.

GF:
I agree.  Although it's probably the case that the vast majority of longdesc material *can* be made to fit into an HTML page, I don't want to create an unnecessary limitation on current or future technology.  I don't want to make it impossible for authors to launch a longdesc via an accessible PDF or a tactile-graphics source file, or to launch a free-standing media player (which may be more accessible than an embedded player).

Geoff/NCAM