W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > March 2011

[media] Minutes of today's media subgroup meeting

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 10:18:01 +1100
Message-ID: <AANLkTimcWE2apU1dG5fGZRx0cCkz9O7Hm94dFKX7TBLP@mail.gmail.com>
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Please find the minutes of today's media subgroup meeting at
http://www.w3.org/2011/03/02-html-a11y-minutes.html and pasted below.
(We somehow don't have zakim know about the conference any longer - if
somebody can sort this out, that would be good.)

Best Regards,
Silvia.


- DRAFT -

HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

02 Mar 2011

Attendees

Present
Regrets
Chair
John
Scribe
silvia
Contents

Topics
Actions Review http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/open
Face to Face--Please Register http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/201103_ftf/
Issue-152 Multitrack API
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Feb/0079.html
Bug 10693 - Need a means for navigating between related timed tracks
of media elements
Poster
Other Business
Summary of Action Items
<trackbot> Date: 02 March 2011
<scribe> scribe: silvia
<scribe> Meeting: HTML-A11Y telecon
<scribe> Chair: John_Foliot
<scribe> agenda: this
Actions Review http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/open

nothing open other than Janina's item, which continues
Face to Face--Please Register http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/201103_ftf/

silvia requested breakout for media
JF: ongoing discussions on list will help get towards a resolution on
media multitrack api
... we may still need to have final discussions there
... I'll follow up with Mike and Michael
Judy: I was not planning to attend, but since we will do intensive
media work, I have changed my flights
Issue-152 Multitrack API
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Feb/0079.html

JF: we now have 8 possible options in the wiki
silvia: discussions are ongoing
 Eric posted the 8th option today, which we are now discussing in detail
scribe: Philip was strongly advocating separate elements mostly
because or rendering issues
... I think we have to look at the different options as to their
different approaches/requirements on rendering next
JF: has the CSS working group looked at this
Eric: no, but there are probably not many concerns for the CSS WG
silvia: I don't think it's a CSS side issue - it's more about how we
expose the elements to CSS from the HTML side
JF: we'll just keep working on it on list, since we seem to be making progress
Bug 10693 - Need a means for navigating between related timed tracks
of media elements

JF: is there any overlap with Issue-152?
silvia: yes, since we do need tracks first before we can specify the
navigation between tracks
... I am mostly concerned about the book chapter / article / word kind
of navigation
(discussion about different technical ways of achieving this)
silvia proposes to have the navigation between explicit tracks of the
video element
sean proposes that the markup could be within the loaded resource within a track
JF thinks it would be easier on authors if the different hierarchical
navigation levels would be within a single chapter track file
plainly we need more on-list discussion
JF proposes this issue has to be addressed and solved by CR
<SeanH> I suggested that a DAISY NCX file is an existence proof
JF: we need to set up a wiki page
... am hoping we can progress this to an issue before May 22nd
timeline: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Sep/0074.html
... it is a post-LC bug
Judy: it might be worth getting additional input on what is happening
after the 22nd May and whether issues will still be addressed after
this
... I am interested in how we would progress towards an implementation of this
Eric: it is likely to have a fairly large impact on implementation
... we are very far away from being available, since there is a
non-trivial amount of implementation necessary
JF: so the first non-trivial amount of implementation will be the
solution to multitrack API
... I see the navigation as equally important
... I just want to make sure it doesn't slip
... is it realistic that we can work on this once we have finalized
the multitrack API
Eric: to large amount the issues are orthogonal, but we only have this
much bandwidth to deal with spec changes
silvia: yes, I would think it makes sense to attack this bug after issue-152
JF: this is an acknowledge issue and we need to get it into the spec -
probably before CR
Judy: should we bring it other people that can have the time to deal
with this issue?
Eric: it is important to understand how this issue interacts with all
the other issues and we've tried to get other interested to help in
this field - I think it's unrealistic to try and bring in new blood
and expect them to be faster in solving this than taking the
sequential approach
JF: there is Mark from Netflix now included also in the multitrack
discussion, which is great
... is it realistic to say that this is the next issue we tackle?
Judy: we also need to talk with Janina about this
Poster

JF: let's not discuss this now
silvia: as a related issue, I am concerned about non-time-aligned text
replacements for video, e.g. short text that is being announced as you
tab onto the video
... is this something we need to analyse in a focused way>
?
JF: if you can't see it, you need the fallback
Eric: it is the same issue whether the poster is an element or not
... this probably needs a bug in the tracker
<scribe> ACTION: John register a bug on "all media elements should
have short and long text replacements associated with them" [recorded
in http://www.w3.org/2011/03/02-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-107 - Register a bug on "all media elements
should have short and long text replacements associated with them" [on
John Foliot - due 2011-03-09].
silvia: note that there is also issue-9 open
... and will be closed today if we don't speak up
Sean: are there open change proposals to this issue that would be
closed with it?
JF: as long as the derivative bugs and issues are not closed, it's
probably ok to close issue-9
... it's probably not the intention of the chairs to close other open
issues just because this issue is closed
silvia: since we now have derivative bugs, it's probably ok to close it
eric: we got more concrete now and are dealing with the individual
issues, it would be good to close issue-9
sean: the original multitrack change proposal was against issue-9, but
that's mostly accepted now
JF: I also think we can take the scaffolding down now
Other Business

Sean: I've been doing some implementation work on the event model
around track API
... the way that cues get added to the cue list, it's impossible to
get the handlers in place in time for them to be executed
... it would be good it people looked at this before the F2F
silvia: is onchange not sufficient
sean: probably not - we need information on the incoming and outgoing cue list
... it it was on the event rather than a list in the element, that
would be easier to deal with
... I've created a list around this and would appreciate it being
discussed at the F2F
JF: is this worthwhile filing it as a bug
Sean: I'd like to have a discussion before filing a specific bug
JF: let's keep discussing and note that it's something we want to talk
about at the F2F
No more other business
We won't have a meeting on the 16th March
Given the F2F for the 19th and there is CSUN
But next week will be an active meeting
Meeting finished
rssagent, make minutes
Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: John register a bug on "all media elements should have
short and long text replacements associated with them" [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/03/02-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

[End of minutes]
Received on Wednesday, 2 March 2011 23:18:54 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:55:52 UTC