Re: Issue 131 text baseline

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group

public-html-request@w3.org wrote on 06/28/2011 11:19:38 AM:

> From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
> To: Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
> Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Paul Cotton
> <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, chuck@jumis.com, public-html@w3.org,
> public-html-a11y@w3.org, jbrewer@w3.org
> Date: 06/28/2011 11:21 AM
> Subject: Re: Issue 131 text baseline
> Sent by: public-html-request@w3.org
>
> On 06/28/2011 10:43 AM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> > In the chairs decision on Issue 131 the text baseline the chairs stated
> > that there was not adequate information to define the text baseline and
> > therefore it was not adopted:
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0271.html
> >
> > In discussions with Maciej to provide clarification I agreed to provide
> > more information on on text baseline for Issue 131.
> >
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0426.html
> >
> > I modified the original change proposal to provide more detail on the
> > computation of text baseline in the text metrics. That information is
> > included in this change proposal:
> > _http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/CaretSelection_
> >
> > Please review.
>
> Retracing history on this:
>
> 14-April you posted a list of items you felt were overlooked:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0394.html
>
> 14-April Maciej responded:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0396.html
>
> 15-April you updated the change proposal:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0423.html
>
> 15-April (as quoted above) the chairs agreed to evaluate this:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0426.html
>
> 18-April I posted (on behalf of the co-chairs) two questions:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0454.html
>
> 20-April you posted a response with a plan to update the Change Proposal:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0496.html
>
> To date, I haven't seen those updates:
>
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/index.php?title=ChangeProposals/
> CaretSelection&action=history
>
> As far a I know we are only waiting on those two changes.

The definition of the text baseline is referenced in the linked to spec
change in the CP:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Apr/att-0129/HTML_Canvas_2DContext20110415.html

This is the revised definition in the change:
Returns the vertical offset of the anchor point for the text that was
passed to the measureText() method.

In the change proposal itself there is a reference to 508 and following
system conventions. I had added the following:

"Authors should be forced to follow system settings as these are set by a
user based out of personal preference. Personal preferences are set for a
variety of reasons, the most serious being that the user simply cannot use
the application because of an impairment. To address this issue government
procurement standards, such as 508, require applications to support system
font and color settings. If your application does not comply you fail
purchasing requirements. It should be noted that, in our proposal, if no
system setting has been set for focus ring then the drawFocusRing simply
draws along the path as the author specified while at the same time
updating the magnifier based on the focus ring."

Are these the two changes you are referring to or did I miss something.