Re: Response to: ChangeProposals/DeprecateLongdesc

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 10:11:19 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 6:19 AM, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
>> Taking this discussion in a slightly different direction, if we believe
>> we need a general purpose aria attribute that *does* preserve
>> structured markup, so that it can be used to link *long* descriptions
>> to complex 'things' (including images) then I agree that we should
>> pursue that, and the idea of an 'aria-describedat' has already been
>> briefly discussed as something to look at in ARIA.next. However I think
>> that trying to convert a Ferrari into an off-road vehicle is doomed to
>> succeed.
>
> OK, you've got my arguments exhausted. :-)
> I think aria-describedat seems indeed necessary since I think a
> generic means for long descriptions that can appear on multiple places
> on the page or off-page is necessary (basically a mix between
> @longdesc and @aria-describedby).

Yeah, I think we need that too. There are certainly other ways to think of
it - like allowing figcaption to use a pointer as well as content, or
fixing aria-describedBy (but as John says the implementation legacy might
make that harder than we want)

> I hope this discussion has been useful to destill what the issues are
> and will make a discussion with Jonas and others easier.

I believe it has... thanks.

cheers