Re: request to re-open the meta generator issue

Hello Janina, Steve, and all,

On 8/19/11, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net> wrote:

> Please review the change proposal referenced below. We will consider
> whether we believe it sufficiently addresses our concerns during the
> Text Subteam teleconference this coming Monday.

Many thanks, Steve for working on this. Lots of new concrete evidence
has been gathered and identified. Excellent work.

Evidence that I mentioned in the HTML Working Group poll [1], which
was ignored in the decision [2] is Mike Smith's pilot validator. It
triggers error text "expected to reference additional guidance on text
alternatives in WCAG support materials". Integrating this would have
directly facilitated more perceivable content. It held a real
opportunity for validators to help educate by directly pointing
authors who encounter a missing text alternative error, to advice on
how to fix it. Now, no teachable moment exists for authors who use
tools that insert meta name="generator". The generator mechanism
renders Mike's effort pretty much useless.

So this is something to consider adding to the proposal as the Chairs
did not duly consider it.

The whole section in the previous Change Proposal [3] regarding HTML5
helping to facilitate accessibility awareness and education in and the
repercussions of the generator mechanism on this effort was
misunderstood in the Chairs' decision.

Best Regards,
Laura

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-31-80-validation-objection-poll/results
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0451.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20090126
#HTML5_Should_Help_Facilitate_Accessibility_Awareness_and_Education

--
Laura L. Carlson

--
Laura L. Carlson