Re: [media] issue-152: documents for further discussion

I'd like to second the requirement for an enumerated 'kind' for in-band tracks. Considering adaptive streaming approaches, the information about track kinds is much more likely to be available in-band than from external metadata systems.

Whilst the external metadata might contain information about what is available, for presentation to the user (e.g. List of languages) it doesn't make sense to require that layer to include information about how this is mapped to any particular container or manifest format, when multiple such versions of the content might be available (and might be added or removed without changes to the user-visible metadata).

A clean separation between UI and transport implies there is more than
just natural-languages at the media transport layer: in fact it would make more sense to have *only* the enumerated kind at the media transport layer and leave the natural language aspects to the presentation layer.

Furthermore, enumerated kinds are necessary to make initial choices based on user preferences - you have to be able to understand *what* the tracks are. Also presentation of such tracks to the user might not be a single menu of choices: there is structure such as language choices for main audio and audio descriptions which mirror the language choices for the corresponding subtitle tracks and this structure needs to be exposed for a sensible UI that properly considers accessibility.

...Mark

Sent from my iPhone