Re: Proposal: Add a modal element to html5 to indicate a modal segment of the DOM (modal dialog)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 12:46:36 +0100, E.J. Zufelt <everett@zufelt.ca> wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I would appreciate any thoughts on this proposal prior to filing a bug.
> Especially if anyone has additional resources to add at the end of the
> proposal (Implementations and Best practices).

> (modal dialog)

FWIW, i talked with Ian Hickson about this in an interview in May 09

Bruce :

What’s your fave feature that didn’t get into HTML 5 that you’d put into
HTML 6?

Hixie :

In-window modal dialogs or dialog box—the kind of prompt you get when the
computer asks you a question and won’t let you do anything else until you
answer the question. For instance, the window that comes up when you say
"Save As…" is usually a modal dialog.

Right now people fake it with divs and complicated styles and script. It
would be neat to just be able to say "make this section a modal dialog".
Like showModalDialog(), but within the page instead of opening a new
window with a new page.

I’d add it to HTML 5, but there are so many new features already that we
need to wait for the browsers to catch up.

link
http://www.webstandards.org/2009/05/13/interview-with-ian-hickson-editor-of-the-html-5-specification/