Re: Media--Additional Requirement for Sec. 2.6 Captioning?

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 6:43 AM, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu> wrote:

> Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> >
> > We need to be aware that we had a very single-sided sample
> > of users at the NYC event: a US user representative,
> > hard-of-hearing, and of rather advanced age. Other countries
> > have different representations for the text with placement
> > offsets - in particular the Australian Captioning Centre,
> > that I used to have a project with, had the requirement from
> >users that the placement underneath the speaker really helped
> > and I know from Germany that colors were used frequently there.
> > Also, younger people may have different preferences. The
> > preference may have as much to do with what you are used to as
> > it has with what is really more usable. It might be worth asking
> > this particular question about preferences of other
> > hard-of-hearing or deaf people to get a better sample of input.
>
> So JF is running stupid this week, but just a quick thought here re:
> Germany's use of color. While I think the case could be made (has been
> made?) that we need to support some form of styling in our synched text
> files (CSS?) I caution that WCAG is quite specific that the use of color
> alone to convey important information is problematic. Thus while we should
> encourage the ability of styling, this statement made me cringe ever so
> slightly.

I'm not saying that we should mandate any of the three approaches to
identify speakers - I'm just saying that we should mention all three that
have been used in the past and make sure that all three are possible to be
done in HTML5. I was speaking up about removing the existing two approaches
(color and position) in favor of something we hadn't mentioned before
(label).