Re: CFC Via WBS re Bug 9673 Remove WEBSRT

Yes, I think it should be made clear that concern over making WebSRT part of the HTML 5 spec should not be taken as concern over documenting SRT, or WebSRT.  Documenting a format that is so widely used is a goodness.  But perhaps it does not belong 'in' HTML 5.  (Making progress on that document is a goodness too.)

On May 11, 2010, at 1:14 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 May 2010, Janina Sajka wrote:
>>>
>>> I was requested to draft and circulate resolution language expressing
>>> our concern and desire to have WEBSRT removed from HTML 5 specification
>>> documents at this time.
>>
>> I haven't even finished writing it yet, and you're already applying stop
>> energy? Could I ask your indulgence to at least wait until I've had the
>> time to write the spec and describe its rationale before criticising it?
>
> To be fair: it could have been developed outside the spec and then
> later merged in once it's all finished (at least for the W3C spec).
> Everyone else of us has to approach new specification text in this way
> and that does not hold back energy our energy.
>
> But, again to be fair, it does seem like the HTML WG has special
> procedures for the editor, see
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010May/0123.html, so
> it is as it is and this group is just raising its concern over that
> state.
>
> Removing WebSRT from the HTML5 spec should not mean stopping
> development on it though! I really want to see progress on video
> accessibility!
>
> Regards,
> Silvia.

David Singer