Re: UAAG 2.0 guidelines for video

Silvia Pfeiffer writes:
> Correction to my previous email:
>
> The HTML5 media elements already have an attribute to control the playback rate:
>
>            attribute float defaultPlaybackRate;
>
> (see http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#media-elements).

Well, since we're a W3C working group, I think we're looking at:
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#dom-media-playbackrate

Glad to see it's there, but not sure whether it's complete per the UAWG
requirements:
*	I don't see a supported range. UAWG wanted .5 to 2.0, which is
*	not particularly large.
*	I also believe we have a requirement for maintaining pitch
*	during the time-scale modification. Perhaps that's what the
*	editor's drft means when it says "monotonically," though I'm not
*	sure that's the best terminology.

In my opinion this will be an important feature for I18N as well as A11Y
support. For instance, anyone listening to content not in their native
language will doubtless discover enhanced comprehension by reducing
playback rate--provided pitch is maintained and no negative artifacts
are produced by the transformation.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200