Re: resolution supporting navsubstree change proposal

On Mar 16, 2010, at 2:17 AM, Steven Faulkner wrote:

> Hi maciej,
>
> >To reframe my earlier line of questioning - is it conforming to
> specify navsubtree=false?
>
> yes, for example if there is a canvas based chart along with a html
> table of the chart data:
>
> <canvas navsubtree="false"> your browser does not support the
> graphical rendering of the data, browser x or y is required</canvas>

> chart data
> as in the current spec, the accessible alternative does not have to
> be provided within the canvas. in the example above the accessible
> alternative is provided outside of the canvas, the canvas content is
> fallback.

That seems like a reasonable design. My only suggestion would be to
make the attribute a more typical HTML boolean attribute; for most of
them, only presence or absence matters, not the value. Since navigable
subtree is the default, perhaps the attribute should be "nonavsubtree"
or "nonav" or something like that, and then it can just be a normal
HTML5 boolean attribute. (Those names don't read so great, but I think
mixing the false/true pattern with the present/absent pattern is
confusing).

Regards,
Maciej