RE: draft of HTML to Platform Accessibility API mapping table

I put the aria mapping in this doc to be consistent with Steve's spec text.  I also find it useful to have it there as a reference while creating and discussing the API mappings.  I'm flexible on having it in the final version of this do, though I personall find it easier to have it all in one place.

From: public-html-a11y-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-a11y-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Steven Faulkner
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 3:01 AM
To: David Bolter
Cc: Cynthia Shelly; HTML Accessibility Task Force
Subject: Re: draft of HTML to Platform Accessibility API mapping table

Hi dave,
>To be clear, no one is suggesting the browser will itself automatically add aria attributes to the DOM right?

the current spec text [http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/embedded-content-0.html#annotations-for-assistive-technology-products-aria] states:

"User agents are required to implement ARIA semantics on all HTML elements<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/infrastructure.html#html-elements>, as defined in the ARIA specifications. The implicit ARIA semantics defined below must be recognized by implementations. [ARIAIMPL]<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/references.html#refsARIAIMPL>"

This has been added without change to the new spec text.

The second sentence though ambiguous, could suggest that the stated implicit semantics are to be exposed via the DOM.

Can you provide text which clearly states what you think browsers should do? we can then replace the current text.

Also I know you are v busy but please take the time to review the proposal: http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/HTML5/aria-html5-proposal.html
your review and feedback is valued!

regards
steve