Re: SMIL and <video> accessibility

I have to strongly second Geoff's comments.

Granted that there has been concern that SMIL is too large and
implementation would be a burden UAs don't want, the idea behind SMIL
modularization was to allow selecting only those modules that are needed.

This approach was successfully followed by the DAISY talking book community,
which needed only a subset of SMIL to enable text/audio synchronization for
talking book players (with implementations spanning small custom hardware
devices through desktop players).

SMIL appears provides everything needed.  It seems this effort is
reinventing elements that are already spec'd.  I'd be interested in learning
why SMIL is not suitable.

mark