Re: Ruby in TTML

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Discussion, and an example of display Ruby in TTML is documented here http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2009Jul/0006.html  Not ideal, but a workaround until it can be done properly in v.next.
>
> I would also point out that for the most part Asian legacy subtitles and caption formats use graphics rather than text as a workaround for downloading Asian fonts.
>
> Also note that TTML has an extension mechanism which has been used to address both of these in private implementations.

Thanks for this information. I would suggest bringing this into any
discussion that will likely occur soon on the WHATWG or HTML WG
mailing lists.

I think XSL-FO, the namespaces and possibly the lack of hyperlinks are
some of the issues for DFXP. But there are further requirements at
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Timed_tracks , which it would be good to
have a reply for how to do them in DFXP.