RE: Ruby annotation

The TTWG recognises the importance of Ruby as well as horizontal-in-vertical text and other formatting issues for Asian scripts. We did debate adding direct support for Ruby on a number of occasions, but in the end we took the view that the visual effect of Ruby could be simulated using the existing features of Timed Text, and the semantics could be incorporated using a foreign namespace, thus we decided to not add Ruby markup in a timed text namespace.

As Glenn points out, one can include W3C ruby markup in a foreign namespace, but a standard dfxp renderer would not do anything with it. To achieve the semantic notation, and also have the rendering, one could write something like the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<tt xml:lang="en" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2006/10/ttaf1" xmlns:tts="http://www.w3.org/2006/10/ttaf1#style" xmlns:ttm="http://www.w3.org/2006/10/ttaf1#metadata">
  <head>
    <metadata>
      <ttm:title>Ruby Test</ttm:title>
      <ttm:desc>Example of how to apply ruby</ttm:desc>
      <ttm:copyright>Copyright (C) 2007 W3C (MIT, ERIM, Keio). All Rights Reserved.</ttm:copyright>
    </metadata>
    <styling>
    </styling>
    <layout>
      <region xml:id="r1">
      </region>
      <region xml:id="r2">
      </region>
    </layout>
  </head>
        <ruby xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/ruby">
          <rb>また</rb>
          <rt>股</rt>
        </ruby>
</tt>

Which should produce something like:
[cid:image001.png@01C9FAA7.230E1E20]
This approach does have its limitations, and so if Timed Text starts to see a lot of adoption for Asian scripts, then this may well be something we will revisit should we be chartered to look at a version 2.

Sean Hayes