Re: a11y TF CfC on resolution to support "Media Text Associations" change proposal for HTML issue 9

On Apr 6, 2010, at 11:41 AM, Geoff Freed wrote:

> On 4/6/10 6:31 AM, "Eric Carlson" <eric.carlson@apple.com> wrote:
>
> On Apr 6, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Geoff Freed wrote:
>
> Ditto here:  captions and controls should never cover or come into contact with each other.  It’s of lesser importance whether the captions and controls move to avoid covering each other, or if the captions and controls remain in fixed and separate regions.  For an example of the latter, see any captioned video at http://www.hulu.com <http://www.hulu.com/> ; for the former (in addition to Silvia’s example), download Hulu desktop at http://www.hulu.com/labs/hulu-desktop .
>
>  I agree that controls should not cover captions, but I don't think we *can* describe exactly how to handle the situation when they do. For example what should happen when a UA uses a movable, "HUD style", controller?
>
> GF:
> Are you sure we can’t describe the ideal or mandatory behavior, that captions and controls should never conflict?  If not, why?

  I don't know how to describe the mandatory behavior for every situation.

  One option is to move a caption when it conflicts with controller position, but I don't think this is a good solution. The position of a caption on screen can be significant as authors often place them to indicate the speaker, so moving a caption automatically can lose information.

  Another option is to move the controller, but how to you move a controller that displays in a fixed location? A movable controller can be repositioned, but with some movies the controller will end up jumping constantly as captions appear in different parts of the screen.

  What would you suggest we mandate?

eric