RE: a11y TF CfC on resolution to support "Media Text Associations" change proposal for HTML issue 9

I agree with both Silvia and Gregory. Both the controls and captions must remain separate and independently usable whilst the video is playing.

I think it's important to note that Silvia and I were talking about "above" in the x/y plane, and not the z plane. Well at least I was, and I think Silvia was too.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory J. Rosmaita [mailto:oedipus@hicom.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:52 AM
To: Silvia Pfeiffer; Philip Jägenstedt
Cc: Eric Carlson; Sean Hayes; public-html-a11y@w3.org
Subject: Re: a11y TF CfC on resolution to support "Media Text Associations" change proposal for HTML issue 9

aloha, silvia!

since all too often, embedded controls and overlapping controls make multimedia impossible to use with assistive technology, i simply wanted to give a strong plus one to your observation that

QUOTE
> moving the captions up above the controls is actually absolutely
> necessary.
UNQUOTE

this MUST be made painfully clear in any proposal -- that whatever mechanism is adapted, it MUST present player controls and captions in discrete sections of the display which MUST not overlap, even should the user decide that she wants captions at the top of the video pane or on the bottom of the video pane, the controls must always be visible and accessible to the user

gregory.
ABSURDITY, n.  A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with
one's own opinion.      -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devils' Dictionary
Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net AND unagi69@concentric.net

UBATS: United Blind Advocates for Talking Signs: http://ubats.org