Re: timing model of the media resource in HTML5

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:24:51 +0100, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
wrote:

> Comments?

Thanks for all the feedback on the <overlay> idea. I've expanded somewhat
on it at <http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Video_Overlay>. (I used the WHATWG
wiki because it exists and also I like MediaWiki.)

I think one of the most difficult problems in this and other proposals
(e.g. Silvia's <itext>, from which I've stolen many ideas) is the
algorithm for selecting a caption/subtitle resource from many candidates.
I'm quite skeptical towards automatic language selection because of the
failure of the UA language setting reflected in Accept-Language. I
actually think that having sites allow the user to set a preference cookie
for language and possible accessibility needs is much more likely to be
successful.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer