Re: Current state of the summary discussion

On 17.12.2009, at 20:00, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Martin Kliehm, Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:08:10 +0100:
>> So it seems a main objection is that @summary metadata is hidden. It
>> struck me that it is the same with the @datetime attribute of <ins>
>> and <del> elements. The difference is that there's also the <time>
>> element in case you prefer datetime to be visible.
>>
>> So for consistency, why don't we keep @summary which is also
>> backwards compatible, and add something redundant like a <summary>
>> element for people who want to make it visible or change the
>> visibility using CSS? Thus everybody should be happy.
>
> This is more or less exactly what I mentioned on IRC[1].

Yes, thanks for the inspiration. ;-)

I believe since nobody objects @datetime and <time> in its two
manifestations, using it as an analogy may help to get the point
through.

> My idea is to join <summary> with Ian's current proposal to allow
> <caption> to contain more than a caption is currently allowed. Thus
> make <summary> a container for this additional info.

I understand the rationale, but do you think it is clear for authors
where the difference is between <caption> and <summary> if one is
contained within the other? They both suggest something similar.

Cheers,
   Martin