Re: Include CSS in emails

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014, at 11:05 PM, Stefan Mies wrote:
> Because an external style sheet is ideal when the style is applied to
> many pages, not for only one page like an email.

The main trouble with external stylesheets is the need to sanitise the
CSS (at least in the webmail context) to prevent conflicts with UI
styles, or security issues (remember you could put JavaScript in CSS in
older versions of IE, *sigh*). It's possible to support, if the server
downloads it, cleans it, and then passes it on to the client, but you
have the same trouble as images (can be used for tracking) and it would
have to happen out-of-band with the fetch of the rest of the email
content, which makes all sorts of UI rendering issues harder. For these
reasons, we don't currently support external stylesheets at FastMail,
and I imagine most webmail vendors would join me in saying we'd rather
they were avoided.

Neil.