Re: Test cases

On 2/4/2014 5:50 AM, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
> While it's a handy test, there are a coupleof issue. The big one is
> that it isn't very easy to collate results - the test covers a bunch
> of different things, but I need to refer back to the original page and
> check over the two renderings, and even then some of what I am doing
> is guessing what is being tested.

The standard process for developing HTML and CSS tests is with reftests:
<http://testthewebforward.org/docs/reftests.html>. In short, you prepare
two pages that should render identically. The reftest framework takes
pictures of the two pages and compares the resulting images for
equivalence. In terms of automation, I've been able to use the
functionalities in Gecko to automate a mimereftest suite for
Thunderbird, but I haven't pursued the project beyond prototype stages.

--
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth