Re: Why we need Houdini...

Absolutely.  Note that this calls out explicitly the need for performant
scroll customization:

"Scrollable elements are possible in pure HTML and CSS with overflow:
scroll (combined with-webkit-overflow-scrolling: touch on iOS) but these do
not give you frame-by-frame control over the scrolling animation and mobile
browsers have a difficult time with long, complex content."