RE: [Agenda] HTML Media Extensions WG Editors meeting, Tue Jul 19

I’m not completely opposed to doing polyfills, if Paul and Phillippe think it’s useful; but don’t much like the idea of patching implementations in JS.  Waiting in CR and getting real implementation results seems much preferred.  If that is not an option, then I’d much prefer reviewing the gaps and seeking assurances that browsers intend to implement.  I think we said that was a last resort option though.

Jerry

From: Mark Watson [mailto:watsonm@netflix.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 11:04 AM
To: David Dorwin <ddorwin@google.com>
Cc: Matt Wolenetz <wolenetz@google.com>; Jerry Smith (WPT) <jdsmith@microsoft.com>; Francois Daoust <fd@w3.org>; Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>; Philippe Le Hegaret (plh@w3.org) <plh@w3.org>; public-hme-editors@w3.org; Iraj Sodagar <irajs@microsoft.com>; John Simmons <johnsim@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: [Agenda] HTML Media Extensions WG Editors meeting, Tue Jul 19

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 10:48 AM, David Dorwin <ddorwin@google.com<mailto:ddorwin@google.com>> wrote:
For the purposes of the implementation report, I think we should just clearly indicate which features/steps are not passing and reference a bug report acknowledged/confirmed by the UA vendor.

​I think in that case we would find a large number of features that are not supported by two implementations. Usually one would respond to this situation by waiting a while in CR until implementations catch up, but we do not have that option here.

On the call yesterday, we agreed that it would be useful to also provide the Director with information about those features which can easily be patched up with JS to pass the tests. For the purpose of indicating the maturity / interoperability​ / design of the API I don't see that it makes much difference whether you are testing a C++ implementation or a (C++/JS) implementation.

In general, I think smaller targeted tests will help - allowing most tests to pass while clearly identifying specific issues. For larger tests, one option is to break them up. Alternatively, if there is a single part of a test that is failing and the UA can't be fixed in time, I suggest temporarily a) commenting that part of the test out if possible and b) adding an explicit test for that functionality.

The specific bug you cite has been fixed in ToT for a couple weeks (the status was stale), so Chrome Canary (54) should pass the test.