Re: Conformance Labels

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 12:59 -0400, Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Dan Connolly wrote:
>
> > Could you elaborate on what you mean? What does it mean for a document
> > to register a hook? Documents aren't people/agents; they
> > don't _do_ things (except perhaps to say something).
>
> A GRDDL Document is an XML document which includes specific
> mechanisms (content?) for a GRDDL Processor to use to extract Resource
> Descriptions which preserve it's meaning.  In particular:
>
> 1. An XHTML document which refers to the GRDDL namespace as a meta data
> profile and includes one or more transformation links types which
> associate the original document with the indicated transformations.
> 2. An XHTML document which refers to a meta data profile, which itself is
> a GRDDL Document whose meaning includes one or more RDF statements which
> relate the original document with transformations via the
> data-view:profileTransformation property.
> 3. An XML document with a data-view:transformation attribute on it's root
> element
> 4. An XML document where the XML namespace URI of it's root element (when
> dereferenced) refers to a document whose meaning (either expressed
> directly as RDF or derived from a subsequent GRDDL transformation)
> includes RDF statements which relate the original document with a
> transformation via the data-view:namespaceTransformation property.
>

> > Is this a GRDDL XML Document?
> > 	<z/>
>
> It's neither of the above 4, so no.
>

> > How about this?
> > 	<z xmlns="http://example.org/terms" />
>
> Depends on what is dereferenced from http://example.org/terms (4th
> criteria from above)
>

> > How about this?
> > 	<z xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/pg23" />
>
> Same as above
>
> > Does it depend on the representations available from .../pg23 ?
> > i.e. does the question of whether an XML document is a GRDDL
> > document depend on the state of the web as well as the text
> > of the document?
>
> I think the dereference terminology covers the criteria regarding the
> state of the web.

Well, yes, it's clear now. You're really proposing to define
conformance of GRDDL documents in such a way that a document
can be conforming one day and not conforming the next, with no
changes to the document itself.

That's pretty much the opposite of what I think is helpful in
a conformance label. I much prefer no conformance label.

> > I can imagine them, but I don't want to encourage them by giving
> > conformance labels to them.
>
> Fair enough.  How about:
>
> A GRDDL Processor is a software agent which supports all of the possible
> mechanisms that a GRDDL Document can use to register transformations that
> preserve it's meaning. <insert appropriate description of supported transformation languages. XSLT, etc..>.
> <insert appropriate language about local policy and how they can effect
> the GRDDL processor's determination of which transformation algorithms to
> apply?>

I can imagine replacements for those <insert>s that I might
find acceptable, but it doesn't look easy to find them.
I think it's more trouble than it's worth.