Re: Conformance Labels

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Could you elaborate on what you mean? What does it mean for a document
> to register a hook? Documents aren't people/agents; they
> don't _do_ things (except perhaps to say something).

A GRDDL Document is an XML document which includes specific
mechanisms (content?) for a GRDDL Processor to use to extract Resource
Descriptions which preserve it's meaning.  In particular:

1. An XHTML document which refers to the GRDDL namespace as a meta data
profile and includes one or more transformation links types which
associate the original document with the indicated transformations.
2. An XHTML document which refers to a meta data profile, which itself is
a GRDDL Document whose meaning includes one or more RDF statements which
relate the original document with transformations via the
data-view:profileTransformation property.
3. An XML document with a data-view:transformation attribute on it's root
element
4. An XML document where the XML namespace URI of it's root element (when
dereferenced) refers to a document whose meaning (either expressed
directly as RDF or derived from a subsequent GRDDL transformation)
includes RDF statements which relate the original document with a
transformation via the data-view:namespaceTransformation property.

> Is this a GRDDL XML Document?
> 	<z/>

It's neither of the above 4, so no.

> How about this?
> 	<z xmlns="http://example.org/terms" />

Depends on what is dereferenced from http://example.org/terms (4th
criteria from above)

> How about this?
> 	<z xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/pg23" />

Same as above

> Does it depend on the representations available from .../pg23 ?
> i.e. does the question of whether an XML document is a GRDDL
> document depend on the state of the web as well as the text
> of the document?

I think the dereference terminology covers the criteria regarding the
state of the web.

> I can imagine them, but I don't want to encourage them by giving
> conformance labels to them.

Fair enough.  How about:

A GRDDL Processor is a software agent which supports all of the possible
mechanisms that a GRDDL Document can use to register transformations that
preserve it's meaning. <insert appropriate description of supported transformation languages. XSLT, etc..>.
<insert appropriate language about local policy and how they can effect
the GRDDL processor's determination of which transformation algorithms to
apply?>

Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst
Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery