Re: RDDL-via-GRDDL and OWL/RDFS for GRDDL Vocabulary [RDFinXHTML-35, namespaceDocument-8]

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 21:44 -0400, Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:
> A recent conversation [1] with Sean B. Palmer in #swig pointed me to a
> the great amount activity that fueled and preceded RDDL and the strong
> TAG/Web Architecture stance [3] on Namespace Documents - it's worth some
> mention in the specification of a) How GRDDL can provide a vehicle [4] for
> the machine-readability of RDDL and b) How GRDDL can be used in tandem
> with RDDL.

It's worth doing that somewhere, either in a TAG document or in
a deliverable of this WG, or perhaps both.

Our charter calls out a relationship with the tag...
  TAG: issues RDFinXHTML-35, fragmentInXML-28, rdfURImeaning-39
  -- http://www.w3.org/2006/07/grddl-charter.html#relationships

Actually, the most relevant draft TAG finding is on issue
namespaceDocument-8, not on issue RDFinXHTML-35, but they're
pretty intertwingled.

 Associating Resources with Namespaces
 Draft TAG Finding 13 December 2005
 http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/nsDocuments/

See especially section 3.3 Using GRDDL .

The TAG hasn't acted on that finding/issue for a while. There do
seem to be open action items on Norm Walsh. It's probably in order
for this WG to review that draft finding. A review process that
I like is:
	(1) 2 WG members volunteer to read ?DOCUMENT
	(this often gets recorded as actions)

	(2) Those 2 WG members read ?DOCUMENT and
	send mail to the WG suggesting what our
	review comments should be.

	(2a) Those 2 people often have comments of
	their own that they send independently

	(3) The WG discusses the suggested comment
	(often this prompts others to read ?DOCUMENT
	etc.) salts to taste

	(4) one of the 2 WG members (or the chair
	or another WG member altogether) sends
	the review comments in the name of the WG.

> For b), consider an XML document with a namespace URL that points to a RDDL document which uses
> GRDDL to extract RDDL descriptions [5] (writing a transform that does this
> might prove a useful academic exercise) as well as a
> data-view:transformation attribute which points to a transform which
> extracts other descriptions.

That's exactly what section 3.3 Using GRDDL is about, if I understand
you correctly.

> Also, below is a suggested, short (non-normative) OWL ontology for the
> GRDDL vocabulary terms from the specification:

Are you aware that the GRDDL namespace document already includes an
ontology that is quite similar? In fact, we publish the RDF/XML
variant too. Attached find a turtle transcription generated
with cwm a la:

$ python cwm.py http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view --n3 --base=x:
>,grddl-ttl.txt

It's reasonably close to what you propose...

> @prefix owl: <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#> .
> @prefix xs: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#> .
> @prefix rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
> @prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
> @prefix grddl: <http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view#> .
>
> grddl:Document a owl:class;
>     rdfs:comment "An XML document which registers specific hooks for a GRDDL client to use to extract Resource Descriptions from it.".

I didn't find a need for such a class; I did use foaf:Document .
I suppose that creates a normative dependency from GRDDL to FOAF
that needs to be explicit in the spec. I just added a TODO
in v1.84 http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#bib

> grddl:Transform a owl:Class;
>      rdfs:comment "A Document which specifies a well-defined algorithm whose input is the source document.".

The term I used was Algorithm. And I didn't identify the algorithm with
a document that specifies it.

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithm>     ns0_:primaryTopic
data:Algorithm .

I suppose that's a normative dependency on wikipedia. Hmm.

> grddl:namespaceTransformation a owl:ObjectProperty;
>      rdfs:domain grddl:Document;
>      rdfs:range  grddl:Transform.

We're very close there.

    data:namespaceTransformation     :domain ns0_:Document;
         :range data:Algorithm .

> grddl:profileTransformation a owl:ObjectProperty;
>      rdfs:range  grddl:Transform.

    data:profileTransformation     :comment """relates a Document to an
          Algorithm,
          usually encoded in XSLT, for extracting an RDF
          representation of (some of) the meaning of any XHTML
          document with a profile that refers to the subject
          document.""";
         :domain ns0_:Document;
         :range data:Algorithm .