RE: The Steven King Example

[...]

> That avoids some issues, but in this example, there are
> separate transformations, glean_title.xsl and getAuthor.xsl .
> If we don't use a URI for the work, I can't see a way to get
> the two transformations to give properties of the same work.

Ah, I'd missed that.  We could identify the b-node:

[[
 <rdf:Description>
   <dc:title>The Stand</dc:title>
   <dc:creator>Stephen King</dc:creator>
   <foaf:maker>
     <foaf:Person>
       <foaf:isPrimaryTopicOf
         rdf:resource="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King" />
     </foaf:Person>
   </foaf:maker>
   <dc:format>Book</dc:format>
   <foaf:isPrimaryTopicOf
     rdf:resource="http://www.stephenking.com/pages/works/stand/" />
 </rdf:Description>
]]

But that requires knowing that foaf:isPrimaryTopicOf is inverse
functional (which it is) and applying the inferencing.  Do we want to do
that?  If not, then we need to have the publisher introduce a URI for
the work - it just has to be a different URI to the source document.

> > Dan may disagree with the claim that
> >
> >   http://www.stephenking.com/pages/works/stand/
> >
> > Does not identify the novel.
>
> Indeed, I do. Earlier, you wrote:
>
> > This web page has
> > considerably fewer words than a novel.
>
> But consider http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/ ;
> resource that has a representation that has considerably
> fewer words than the whole HTML 4 specification, and yet it
> is a URI for the HTML 4 specification.

Well, that one was food for thought.  I won't bore you with the details
of where that one took me.  My conclusion is that whether or not the
example is ok is a social not a technical question.

Given that the URL http://www.stephenking.com/pages/works/stand/
identifies the work titled "The Stand" written by Steven King, which of
the following do we think it ok to return as the result of a GET on that
1. A rendition of Eskimo Nell
2. A page describing the work
3. A redirect to a page describing the work
4. A page containing the text of the novel

If 1 or 2 is acceptable, then the example is fine as is.  Note, if we
feel that 1 or 2 is acceptable, this implies that:

  <http://www.stephenking.com/pages/works/stand/> dc:title ?foo

Does not entail

  HttpGet(<http://www.stephenking.com/pages/works/stand/>) dc:title ?foo

If we are ok with that then the example is fine as is.

Brian