Re: On GRDDL and XML Documents [#issue-base-param]

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 16:02 -0400, Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, Dan Connolly wrote:
>
> > As to why not use it: because I don't want to implement attribute
> > parsing above the XML parser layer. It's bad enough that XSLT
> > doesn't have a standard library function for making an absolute
> > URI out of a base and a relative URI and that I had to code that
> > by hand.
> >  http://www.w3.org/2000/07/uri43/uri.xsl
>
> This is Off topic, but I wonder if this is the motivation for having the
> base URI passed as a parameter

no, it's unrelated.

>  (which I don't think is a good mechanism for XSLT) - if it isn't
> then disregard.
>
> I can see the general value of needing such a function (4Suite
> XSLT had to have one implemented explicitely since not even EXSLT provides
> this functionality) but I would think the 'native' resolving mechanism
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#base-uri) should be driven by the base provided
> in the source document (explicitely with xml:base) rather than overiding
> it with an XSLT function / macro.

Oh?!? you mean XSLT _does_ have a feature for this built in?
Let me re-read this http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#base-uri ... no...
darn. That just says "Every node also has an associated URI called its
base URI" but it doesn't tell me how to get at the dang thing.
What a tease. ;-)

If the source document explicitly gives its own base (using xml:base
or <base href="...">) then life is simple. But what about documents
that don't? How are GRDDL transformations written in XSLT to deal
with relative URI references in such documents, if not with
a base/Source parameter?

[more on the other stuff separately]