Re: Microformat profile URIs

On 8/18/06, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 13:58 +0200, Danny Ayers wrote:
> [...]
> > My personal preference would be no attempts to standardise profile
> > (and/or namespace)-free transformation itself, but recognition that it
> > will happen, it may well be the majority case because of data quality
> > realities. These transformation may or may not come under the umbrella
> > of GRDDL.
>
> I much prefer that they don't come under the umbrella of GRDDL.
>
> Scraping is scraping, and GRDDL is not scraping.
>
> Let's leave it at that, shall we?

Fine by me, so long as we're clear about it.

This will mean pretty much any microformat-oriented demos right now
will need instance data creating. Of the (likely thousands, possibly
millions) of microformat docs on the web, here's a guestimate of those
on Harry's list currently being GRDDLable:

hCard : 1 (googled "http://www.w3.org/2006/03/hcard")
hCalendar : 0 (couldn't find a profile URI)
hReview : 0 (couldn't find a profile URI except the one I created, it
doesn't look like I put the one example I made online)
rel-tag : 0  (couldn't find a profile URI)
rel-license : 0  (couldn't find a profile URI)

However the XFN profile URI is widely used, some of the blogging tools
(WordPress for one) include it by default. So I guess we could revive
and refactor those old FOAF demos...

Cheers,
Danny.

--