Re: Javascript and GRDDL [#issue-whichlangs]

Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> 2) turn *SHOULD* into *MUST* support XSLT1 (and say that it *MUST*
>> return RDF/XML or it *MUST* have a mechanism to indicate what type of
>> output the GRDDL-aware agent should expect, otherwise there is another
>> guessing step that needs to take place).
>
> Hello Stefano.  Just wanted to let you know that though most of the
> dialog on your commentary had been with respect to Javascript and the
> closed [1] #which-langs issue, the Working Group is also taking into
> consideration your comments about a mechanism to indicate what type of
> output the agent
> should expect (beyond RDF/XML).  This is with respect to the
> #issue-output-formats [2] issue.  This issue was closed via a specific
> test [3] which demonstrates the use of XSLT's xsl:output/@media-type
> directive to this end
>
> The Working Group is considering what modifications to the specification
> (if any) can further highlight/clarify this additional mechanism.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/#which-langs
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/#issue-output-formats
> [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl-tests/#atomttl1

Chimezie,

thanks for your feedback and thanks for the WG for being willing to
consider my feedback.

As for which-langs issue, I continue to be slightly dissatisfied with
the "should support XSLT1, may support others" resolution as I think
that a "must support XSLT, may support others" (version should not be
specified as XSLT has internal version control semantics) would be
preferable at least for a baseline compatibility.

I have to admit, though, that in practice it doesn't make a big
difference anyway since people will just use whatever works with the
GRDDL-enabled clients.

As for the output beyond RDF/XML, the use of <xsl:output> mime type
solves my previous issues entirely.

Thanks.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi
Digital Libraries Research Group                 Research Scientist