Re: WebGPU on the Raspberry Pi 4

Hi Doug,

We've been discussing the possibility of defining a reduced WebGPU spec
targeting OpenGL ES and D3D11 (distantly similar to how Vulkan
Portability is a reduced spec of Vulkan). There is strong desire from
both Mozilla and Google to make it work on OpenGL ES, at least, given
that there is a lot of platforms still (especially in Android space)
that don't have Vulkan/Metal/D3D12. So far, the working group hasn't
agreed on how the spec will be extended/"subtended" for OpenGL ES, and
it's not the goal of the whole group. We may end up with a reduced
profile specified outside of the group.

In terms of implementation, Google's NXT prototype had OpenGL support
from the start.

"gfx-rs" does have an OpenGL ES backend that is very rough (not
production ready) but we are serious about getting it work, in
particular by looking for a GSoC student to help with this. "wgpu" used
to support OpenGL, and that was cut out, hopefully temporarily. There is
a high chance Firefox will be able to run *some* WebGPU applications on
OpenGL ES 3.1 in the future, but we have more important work right now
than chasing this.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Dzmitry