Re: Some Feature requests.

> On 8 Aug 2019, at 06:29, Kevin Rogovin <kevinrogovin@invisionapp.com> wrote:
>
> I am sorry, this is very counter-productive to the success of WebGPU whose goal is to close the performance gap for hardware accelerated graphics between native and web.

The goal of WebGPU is to expose a style of hardware-accelerated graphics to the Web platform. Performance comparisons to native are useful, and can be used to determine if the overhead required by being on the Web platform is worth it or not.

You often have to balance incompatible requirements when developing a single API. When you're developing an API for the Web, where it is exposed to billions of people on all sorts of hardware, implemented by multiple different vendors, and will be supported for decades, there are even more requirements that can conflict with performance.

I'm not sure where this discussion can go now. No one is disputing the fact that there are currently lower-level techniques for identifying some characteristics of a GPU. Doug suggested we go to the experts for advice. We asked them and provided the feedback.

Dean